Thursday, November 15, 2007

Zankou Chicken

I managed to avoid the "let's all hug and go to In and Out burger for lunch" on Wednesday. But I found myself thinking about that burger all day. I just wanted it without strings attached...like having to pretend that I like my job.

On the way home, I thought about going to the one on Sunset near the big shoe warehouse place and the IHOP. [Growing up I thought that IHOP and International House of Pancakes were different places. What is this cool place called IHOP where the BC kids go after our night shift at Circle Cinema???] But I got distracted...like most times in my life.

For some reason, Zankou Chicken popped into my mind. In the year I have lived in Los Feliz, I never made a trip. I always heard good things about it. My brother loves it and brings it to the Hollywood Bowl for dinner a lot. What the hell...let's do it.

Wait...where is it again? Is it on Hollywood and Normandie? Hmm...so...I don't think it's on Hollywood or I missed it...it's dark outside.

Now this has become a mission. And no, I will not pay to call information on my cell phone. I would rather spend time and gas circling around where it "might" be.

Ten minutes later, I found it. Sunset and Normandie. Oh great...there is some good citizen directing parking lot traffic in the strip mall like space. No...I don't have money! I'm still dealing with the people at work who want me to buy Bose earphones for holiday gifts!

It's this bare bones operation inside. No chance of hiding that adolescent acne of mine...hello florescent lights. Total old school menu board - the white ones with grooves across them where you can stick the black plastic letters for your item names. The crazy picture board of each dish...with photos that look like they were taken in the 70s. And the faux wood booths that remind you of eating at Papa Gino's.

But the food is really good. I can vouch for the hummus and chicken shish kebab plate. Hello pita bread. Clearly I kept eating even when I was about to pop. As I was waiting for my order, I saw the man behind the counter making falafel...so you know I'm going back this week...

No comments: