Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Alegria on Sunset (11/3)

Lauren - I’m downstairs in my crappy rental car which is covered in tree sap. Do you want me to drive us somewhere for dinner? Why am I eating sweet potato chips when we are going to dinner? The reason why we are friends is that your first reaction was to dig into my bag of chips without even seeing what I was stuffing in my mouth. :) Like minds…

The plan went from Rambutan Thai in Silverlake to some deep dish pizza place to this great little Mexican place in a random strip mall-like place next to Baskin Robins.

Oh great, I just missed the turn…how am I going to get back that way on Sunset with all the traffic??? ARGH!!! Everyone is honking at me…Ok, if I turn here, can I go around? Oh no, I’m going up some hill. Let me do a U-turn. Wait, will there be parking in this little lot? Let’s try…Is that guy waiting for that spot? Can I park there? I’m parking there. He’s moving too slow.

Inside it’s this cool little joint. Very low key and unexpected from what you see on the outside. I have no idea why their simple pico de gallo is so addictive. And the best part…they serve crushed ice!!! It’s like you are back in some 80s bowling alley at the vending machine drinking orange soda with crushed ice…though I don’t know if they have orange soda, but the ice brought me back in time.

I’m not kidding…the carnitas are delicious. I was a big Kay ‘n Dave’s fan…still am…but I think I might have to cheat on them and go to Alegria for my carnitas. Why is it so delicious? And what do they put in that rice? It’s buttery and fluffy.

After my first taste, I had already planned to get take out tomorrow night. Remember to bring cash…no credit cards.

Yes, I am getting the carnitas.

No comments: