Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Blast from the Past

To avoid jumping from a cliff, I've started my job search. In all fairness, I have to credit the job search from last summer for a few new friendships. Who knew these folks were so cool when they were a year ahead at b-school? And that they don't know ALL even though they are "second years." AS - one of those new friends - he keeps me sane by checking up on me in between buying scooby snacks. :)

Today at work, I decided to scroll through the b-school database. Figured it was worthwhile seeing where alums work in the bay area to see if anything sounded cool. Then I ran across two names that brought some interesting memories back...

Isn't it weird how you can completely forget about people for years and then it all comes back once you hear a name?

One gentleman was a year ahead of me in b-school. All I remember is seeing that movie Never Been Kissed with him in our dinky town cinema by school. A couple of years later, I tried to set him up with a close friend of mine. Needless to say, there was no love connection. But don't worry - she is happily married with a son.

How do you reconnect and ask for job advice when the last time you spoke was years ago after setting the person up on a bad blind date? We'll see how it goes after I talk to him...Apparently he still remembers me from his email - though he's forgotten my friend! Phew.

Even better was running across another fellow's name in the database. Clearly I won't be looking for a job at his company given what happened...

It was years ago when I was looking for an internship in entertainment. (And yes, I've learned the error of my ways since then...) R was always pretty cool - keeping in touch and asking how my career was going even after graduation. I think we actually met once when he was recruiting on campus too.

Years went by and he popped up again...this time to try and set me up with his brother-in-law. Hmmm...I guess I was flattered. I ended up talking to the BIL on the phone once - of course no chemistry. Then he emailed me wanting to hang out, etc. What do you do then? I felt like I was stuck. I didn't want to offend the b-school alum, but I didn't feel a connection with the BIL. And I had my hands full with all of the rowing club drama back then!

In typical girl fashion, I asked a girlfriend for advice---showing her the email. Because I had forwarded the email as an attachment, when she hit reply, it actually went back to the BIL who sent the original email. I know...but it gets worse. Below are choice selections from the email she sent to him (thinking it was going to me):

"I laughed and laughed out loud after I read his email. Oh my gosh!! I know this is going to sound very "high schoolish" but he is such a dork......Am I being mean? I hope not, because this guy has just got to go. ....Here is a sample response to this guy: "

I didn't even know this happened until I got an email from the BIL...forwarding my friend's email which he received...

OH MY GOD.

I had to read the email 3 times to understand what the hell happened. I pretty much sat there for a while like a deer in headlights. Then my phone at work rang...it was my friend AC.

It wasn't intentional, and she is one of my closest friends...so I got over it. But I was steamed for a while back then. It was like a bomb kept exploding in my face...

To this day, I have no idea if my b-school alum guy ever found out what happened. I felt terrible...but how do you recover from that? I sent a heartfelt apology to the BIL, but it was just the ever-exploding bomb. After stashing that little gem away with other low-lights in life...it all came rushing back when I saw his name again.

And you can stop cringing / laughing now. It didn't happen to you! :)

No comments: