Monday, December 17, 2007

What Not to Do

I hate late afternoon interviews. We are desperately trying to find someone to join the team as two other people turned down our offer. Gee...they must have better intel than I did before joining...

I'm gearing up for my own job search. I hate interviewing. That awkward process of selling yourself. Maybe if I tell myself I like it, I'll start to believe it. Anway, I figured interviewing people for my old job is a good way of getting ready to interview myself.

Although I freak out about getting questions I can't answer...I know that I am not as bad as the people I've seen. They've sucked for a variety of reasons. I think one of the worst things I've seen is the candidate who sucks the life out of you by just being in your presence.

You know those people who seem perfectly nice...but they just seem to have some endless air supply which allows them to continue chatting away without a break. It's like a bad game of double-dutch. I'm just inching forward and pulling back. When is it my turn?!

Then they don't seem to take the hint when you are moving them along...Are these people clueless? How are they in normal conversations?

"Well, it's getting late. I better get going."

"OH. You want to play one more round of Taboo? How about a game of crazy eights?"

The sad thing is that it's happened quite a bit...someone seems good on paper and then their personality just ruins things. My analogy for this is like when you open a box of chocolates. From the outside, you think the piece you pick up is going to be awesome. You take a bite and that nasty cherry liquor comes out. YUCK! I thought you had a caramel center!

Lesson learned...strive to be the caramel center!

No comments: