Monday, February 4, 2008

It's at 10AM?!

Three phone screens? Is that really necessary before having me run down the aisle at The Price Is Right? I'm only subjecting myself to this torture because they are Google...

And I want to tell them if they don't love me, it's ok to cut the cord. No point in dragging things out if they don't see a future for the two of us. You aren't going to bring me home to meet the parents, are you? Just tell me it's over so I can go find a new bay area love / employer. :)

I felt like I was back in college again. That first exam I had in Child Study 101. I stayed up all night cramming for a real college exam. I was going to rock it.

And then I woke up with that dreaded feeling where you know you totally overslept, but you have that split second of belief that you might be wrong.

Then you look at the clock...and you realize it's all over.

That same dread came over me this past Friday right after I picked up the phone at work. I had strolled in after grabbing coffee with a friend. I figured I had an hour to prepare for the interview. Run over my "story." I needed the pick-me-up since I forced myself to get up at 4am to listen to the earnings call the day before.

Hi, this is L.

Hi, this is C.

OH...I thought we were talking later at 11am....

No, I had it on my calendar for 10am. I would move it back, but I have a meeting.

Uh, ok. Well, I guess I won't have my last minute cram session. I'm ready to talk now if you are free...

Things sort of went up and down from there. I didn't really remember my name. I mumbled through my "interpretation" of their business model. That is, I threw out random terms hoping that one of them would make it seem like I knew something...and I actually do...it just didn't come across that way.

I wonder if it was as good for him as it was for me?

No comments: